Saturday, March 3, 2007

I went to heaven


Coming back from a recent business trip I was waiting for my flight at the Barcelona airport. Similarly to books and reading, music has always been a big part of my life and I have always been fascinated how music can change the ambiance in your home. So not surprisingly I was browsing through the cd shelves when I found one with such a beautiful cover I was compelled to have it. I did not know about the artist but my blind trust to the cover didn't fail to deliver.
The album is called No promises by Carla Bruni. Apparently she is a former model and her beauty is definately more than skin deep. Not only is the album pretty but the tunes capture you from the first note. The lyrics are poems by late poets such as William Butler Yeats, Dorothy Parker and Emily Dickinson, like the one below.

Trust me, this is one to get. Then, on a day when you are feeling a little sad, light a candle, turn off the lights, have a class of red if you like and let her serene voice carry you to a different world.

I went to heaven, -
'Twas a small town,
Lit with a ruby,
Lathed with down.
Stiller than the fields
At the full dew,
Beautiful as pictures
No man drew.
People like the moth,
Of mechlin, frames,
Duties of gossamer,
And eider names.
Almost contented
I could be
'Mong such unique
Society.

I dedicate this post to Mirva, a mother of two boys and the wife of my cousin. She died in a tragic house fire three weeks ago. Today is the day of her funeral.

1 comment:

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

I am so very sorry about your friend and the fire!

PS I never put together your photo, this blog, and you being in Finland, just until a few moments ago!!!