Friday, March 30, 2007

Perks of the job


Unlike many people, I do not dislike travelling by air or indeed airports. I admit there are many airports which would be great candidates for "pimp my airport" show on MTV. But mostly I am just intrigued by all the fellow passengers. Where are they all going and why? You always recognise the people going for a holiday and the honeymooners, people travelling in business and so on. But then there are lot of people whose appearance does not tell you anything at all. Why is that wrinkled 90 year old lady travelling from London to Prague? Does she live there? And why is that pregnant woman travelling alone? Where is her husband? Does she have a husband? Is she fit to fly? When is her baby due? And what on earth is that man carrying in that strangely shaped box? So many untold stories!

Friends of mine who do not have similar kind of job to mine where international travel is needed say they envy me for being able to do that. I have not been able to fully convince them yet that in most cases business travel is highly overrated. You might be going to a far away, exotic destination, but if all you see is the airport and couple of meeting rooms, you could practically be anywhere. Then there are the connecting flights you miss, the lost luggage, the jet lags you suffer and the 12 hour flights when you are seated next to a person whose personal hygiene leaves a lot to be hoped for. Envy that?

Of course there are perks too. This time it's the actual destination in the heart of Africa, Kenya. It's a long way to go, but the photo I have of our end destination somehow tells me it's all going to be very good. No complaints!

1 comment:

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

I travel quite a lot too. As you know in my recent trip, I was in a car accident on the way to the airport and missed my flight, then on a rebooked flight, my luggage was lost. On the way back, my flight was cancelled. When I finally returned, my luggage was lost. I got home the day before yesterday. I leave on Monday for Paris for work. I told the woman coordinating my trip I was afraid I might find locusts in Paris. ~sigh.